Few things make me as happy as a sugar cookie. Not the grocery store kind though, those are an abomination of sugar and blech. I’m sure when the world ends all we’ll be left with is Pamela Anderson’s boobs and grocery store sugar cookies.
I found this recipe at Baking Beauties and it is sugar cookie heaven. I have been proposed to over these cookies. Granted, he was 12, but still a proposal is a proposal right?
Cracked Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- course sugar to roll the cookies in, any colour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.
2. Cream together sugar and butter. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
3. Add flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Stir.
4. Form dough into walnut size balls, roll in course sugar, and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Don’t flatten. Bake 10 to 11 minutes, until tops are cracked and just turning colour.